Skip to main content

Beautiful Music Self Care | Carmel Symphony Orchestra

Some people take nature walks, some do yoga, some go to the movies, some take bubble baths and some get lost in beautiful music. Learning what helps you unwind and allows you to float away from the day's stresses is key in good self care.



A little bit of all of the above works for me, but nothing works better than beautiful music. I often get lost in the lyrics from a song on the radio or at a live concert, but classical music truly sweeps me away on a whole different level. It's almost as if my soul ebbs and flows with the music and the composer, the conductor and the orchestra take me on a journey with them, telling the story that was originally meant with the piece.

I think often people who are unfamiliar with classical music in an orchestra setting can be a little intimidated at the thought of going to the symphony. Questions swirl... What will I wear? Is it fancy? What if I clap at the wrong time? What if I don't understand the music? What if I'm bored? Isn't it expensive? What if it's just not my thing?

Peeps, I'm here to tell you it's not that complicated and the there is nothing like the beauty of the music at the symphony. You can wear what's comfortable. I often go in dress slacks and a nice blouse or sweater, but I have seen people in jeans and a sports coat all the way to cocktail dresses.

If you're uneasy about when to clap, watch those around you and usually the conductor gives you a clue too by turning around or nodding to sections to bow before she turns around. Don't be afraid of a long pause between movements.

My favorite part of the Carmel Symphony Orchestra is that conductor Janna Hymes often explains the pieces either in the pre-concert Meet the Music or right before the orchestra plays the piece. I have come to adore her insights into the pieces. You also can find the program notes in a blog on the symphony's website before you go or within the program the night of the concert.

I can't say I've never been bored. It's happened a time or two by a piece that just didn't speak to me, but for the most part I fall in love with the majority of the pieces. I close my eyes and just sit back and soak it all in - and I lose myself to the music.

A few years back I was floored to find out - it's really not that expensive to attend the symphony and sometimes it's a great family night out. Over the last few years my kiddos have been to several concerts, and I loved watching them be on the edge of their seats taking the beautiful music in with wide eyes. You can get an adult ticket as low as $20 and children's tickets (under 18) are always just $5. College kiddos just $10. So affordable!

So what's my second favorite part of the symphony? Watching the violin bows move in unison. The conductor and musicians are so passionate about their craft, and it takes all of them working together, in unison, to make the music happen. It leaves me mesmerized each and every time.

Which concerts should you pencil in on your calendar for the 2018-2019 season? Here's my top picks:

  • 11/10 - CSO presents Jon Nakamatsu on piano. Not only do you get Rachmaninoff’s Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini, but Finnish composer Sibelius in the second half with Symphony No. 2 in D Major, which he called a confession of the soul. That kind of makes me swoon!
  • 12/8, 3 p.m. IU Health Holidays Pops. We've done many holiday concerts across Indy and this is by far one of my favorites, plus it's so much more affordable, that we can throw in dinner after and ice skating at the Center Green. It's truly a family-friendly concert with all your favorite sounds of the season. Plus visits with SANTA for the afternoon performance!
  • 2/9 - CSO presents Jeff Midkiff on mandolin. Okay, first of all, I want to see and hear exactly what a mandolin is - call me a curious music goer. Second it's near Valentine's Day and has Gershwin. Swoon worthy.
  • 2/24 - Family Fun! Oh my gosh is this concert amazing. My kids love it. They get to go up and sit among the musicians and there is an instrument petting zoo after. It pretty much rocks. Get tickets early. It sells out. 
  • 3/9 CSO presents Irina Muresanu on violin. I'm a sucker for the violin and Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto.The violin is my very favorite in the orchestra. I love to watch the strings section. Yes, those bows get me every time. 
  • Lastly CarmelFest in July. I love that the symphony always plays right before the fireworks!
A bonus favorite at the symphony... I've gone so often faces have become familiar - from the ushers to those often seated near or mingling in the lobby. I love the smiles we exchange and the conversations we have about the beautiful music. They're kindred spirits. 

Check out their Symphony 101 with everything to know before you go.

Get #CSOmoments and tickets here

See you at The Palladium! Really, peeps, it's a symphony for ALL ages. I promise.

-Jen


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Experience Gifts | Goldfish Swim School Holiday Package

This post is brought to you by Goldfish Swim School, and has a sweet chance for a holiday giveaway at the bottom, so keep reading (and swimming) friends. Have a little fish that you'd love to help become a more confident and independent swimmer before next summer? Did you know it can take up to a year of weekly lessons for that to happen for most little ones? Goldfish Swim School has a great way to help, and it's the perfect non-toy, "experience" gift for the holidays! The gift of swim lessons and water safety! This year’s Goldfish Swim School holiday packages are oh so fun to open too! We all know littles don't really love an envelope with a gift certificate under the tree. And THIS gift package is filled to the brim with goodies like 2 months of group swim lessons, 4 family swim passes, Goldfish goggles, Bubbles bath toy, a Goldfish tote and the new FIRST-EVER Goldfish story book, "The Fish Who Wouldn't Swim." The packages start at $1

My Greatest Challenge | Faith Friday

My nephew texted earlier this week and asked if he could interview me for a homework project. Little did I know the question coming wasn't an easy one, and it would bring tears and hard memories. He said he was supposed to ask someone over 30 and not his parents about the biggest challenge in their life. I advised I'd need a bit to think on that. It didn't take long. I was able to pinpoint it easily. Infertility. Growing up I always knew I wanted to be a mom. I never knew it wouldn't come easy. Coach Man and I struggled for five years to have a child. During our struggle, I often couldn't understand why God was withholding my heart's desires and how other women, made a choice, and just threw away the gift of motherhood like no biggie. What I would have given for that child that they didn't want. Hey, girl, over here! Give it to me. I'll love the heck out of that baby! Really, I will. During those years, all I could see around me was pregnan

Word of the Year: Conquer

As a writer, I adore words. I always have, even as a little girl. They're like old friends to me. My 2019 word of the year is conquer, along with two supporting words - contemplate and celebrate. The three together may seem random and odd, but to me they all go hand in hand with the growth I have in mind for this year. 2018 was a year full of hard things. No worse than any other people's hard things, but still hard things. We moved, a new job for Coach Man, new schools for the hooligans, navigating a new high deductible insurance plan that does not cover insulin for the type 1 diabetic in the family (#insulin4all - but we'll chat that in another blog, because oh do I have some things to say), a health discovery for one of the kiddos and a major medical issue for Coach Man right before Christmas. It was definitely a year that kept us on our toes, but also a year filled with joy as we tackled the hurdles head on and with purpose. Well, we are a football family, so tack