Skip to main content

Cheers to 20 Years, Coach Man!

His pick up line was, "What's up?" But really he had me at the backwards football hat, the twinkle in his eye and the cocky swagger. It didn't matter that his line was cheesy or that he had horrible late 90s frosted tip "guylights" under that cap (when was that ever a good choice). It was love at first sight, and my heart knew it. 

It was the moment my mother had always told me would come. I remember sitting with her in my early teens as she gardened and asking her, but HOW will I know when my Mr. Right comes along? HOW?! She knowingly said, you'll just know. It will feel different. Your gut will let you know. Marriage is a calling and God has someone picked out just for you, but all in His time. She advised that she prayed for each of her children and their future spouses, and God had it handled. Sigh. Why do we always want to fast track things when we're in our teens?! 

I was always a romantic dreamer. Plus, I always knew I wanted to be a wife, a mother and a writer. I often dreamed of my eventual husband and the life we would build. I had no idea the man God would send along would be a little less smoldering Troy Aikman and more of a funny, kind, loyal, gorgeous-eyed Jeff Saturday type, who despises country anything. But as always, God's plan is perfect and perfectly timed and so much better than mine.

Looking back at the college girl I was 20+ years ago and the woman I am today - wow, things have changed. I'm slightly less Pollyanna, a little more seasoned by living life on life's terms, but still a romantic at heart. I've got two precious children, a dog, a cat, I write for a living, I'm surrounded by great friends, and I adore the way Coach Man looks at me. 

Many people talk about the 20 year itch. I'm grateful that I have no idea what they're talking about. Yes, marriage ebbs and flows, but I can honestly say I'm more in love with Coach Man now than I was the day we said I do. And just last year the man took me to a Garth Brooks concert! Now that's love and maybe a little bit of dying to self for the love of his wife too. Which brings me to what I really wanted to talk about...

This month I have really pondered how it is we've gotten to this 20 year milestone. I know a few family and friends had their doubts. Some even voiced them. But really, how did we make it this far when so many other marriages don't? I think there's a few things that have made all the difference for us. 

  • We allow each other grace - for misunderstandings, flaws, idiosyncrasies, mistakes, our own selfish moments. We meet in the middle often, and we love one another unconditionally.
  • We communicate even when it's hard. We don't try to manipulate or control each other. However, that wasn't always the case and caused us some hiccups over the years. We've learned it's not about changing your loved one or getting everything you want. It's about learning to listen, to have an open dialogue and to bend once in awhile. 
  • We forgive each other. 
  • We pray for each other and our little family of four. We prayerfully discern big decisions in our marriage.
  • We do date nights as often as we can. Even simple ones. One of my favorite ones of recent was a trip to IKEA and then a stop for diet cokes and shared fries!
  • We leave room for our individuality and things that make each of our hearts sing. We don't want to get to the moment when the kids move out and we don't know how to be a couple or individuals without them here. Yes, raising kids is all consuming, but they are better people by seeing us live life abundantly as individuals too. 
  • The word divorce isn't in our vocabulary. We don't threaten each other with it. We know it exists, but we have agreed we're in this for the long haul. We choose each other every single day. In our marriage prep classes long ago, our mentor couple said that to us - love and marriage is a choice, you have to choose your spouse every single day for it to work. 
  • We sacrifice for one another. At times, we die to self for the good of the other or our little family. I know "die to self" may sound dramatic but really the heart of it is just putting your own desires aside for the good of someone else. How special to do that for your spouse. It's like laying down your love (like a coat over a puddle) for the greater good of your marriage. It breathes something so special into a marriage and often the best growth, experiences and memories are wrapped up in the outcomes. 
  • Family is important to us, and we put a focus on it. Family dinners and game nights matter.
  • We've surrounded ourselves with a community of couples that inspire us.
  • We've learned how to have boundaries and give ourselves permission to do what's best for our little family even if it is disappointment for someone else. Over the years, we've gotten better at saying no when we should. 
  • Over the 20 years, we've not been afraid to pivot, reinvent or take a step back in order to grow as a couple or a family. 
Overall, we're so very different, but we compliment each other amazingly. Coach Man is the head of our family, and I'm the heart. God knew exactly what He was doing putting us together. Yes, the 20 years have ebbed and flowed. There have been fights, disappointments and resentments along the way, on both our parts, but that's only a small fraction of it. There also has been triumphs, milestones, great joy and amazing love. 

If I could wrap it into three simple points, getting here is only because we learned along the way to trust in God's plan for our marriage and our family, learned that taking care of one another and holding the Christ-light for one another is oh so important and finally that letting go and relaxing into being exactly who God intended us to be is everything. 

Peeps, you don't have to chase an extraordinary life. Often it was right in front of you all along. 


Coach Man, I love you more than words could ever say. Thank you for our sweet babies. I adore this life we've built and am in awe of all the real life examples of our love all around us. May we never stop discovering how much we make each other better every step of this beautiful journey of ours.


- Jen

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Experience Gifts | Goldfish Swim School Holiday Package

This post is brought to you by Goldfish Swim School, and has a sweet chance for a holiday giveaway at the bottom, so keep reading (and swimming) friends. Have a little fish that you'd love to help become a more confident and independent swimmer before next summer? Did you know it can take up to a year of weekly lessons for that to happen for most little ones? Goldfish Swim School has a great way to help, and it's the perfect non-toy, "experience" gift for the holidays! The gift of swim lessons and water safety! This year’s Goldfish Swim School holiday packages are oh so fun to open too! We all know littles don't really love an envelope with a gift certificate under the tree. And THIS gift package is filled to the brim with goodies like 2 months of group swim lessons, 4 family swim passes, Goldfish goggles, Bubbles bath toy, a Goldfish tote and the new FIRST-EVER Goldfish story book, "The Fish Who Wouldn't Swim." The packages start at $1

Word of the Year: Conquer

As a writer, I adore words. I always have, even as a little girl. They're like old friends to me. My 2019 word of the year is conquer, along with two supporting words - contemplate and celebrate. The three together may seem random and odd, but to me they all go hand in hand with the growth I have in mind for this year. 2018 was a year full of hard things. No worse than any other people's hard things, but still hard things. We moved, a new job for Coach Man, new schools for the hooligans, navigating a new high deductible insurance plan that does not cover insulin for the type 1 diabetic in the family (#insulin4all - but we'll chat that in another blog, because oh do I have some things to say), a health discovery for one of the kiddos and a major medical issue for Coach Man right before Christmas. It was definitely a year that kept us on our toes, but also a year filled with joy as we tackled the hurdles head on and with purpose. Well, we are a football family, so tack

My Greatest Challenge | Faith Friday

My nephew texted earlier this week and asked if he could interview me for a homework project. Little did I know the question coming wasn't an easy one, and it would bring tears and hard memories. He said he was supposed to ask someone over 30 and not his parents about the biggest challenge in their life. I advised I'd need a bit to think on that. It didn't take long. I was able to pinpoint it easily. Infertility. Growing up I always knew I wanted to be a mom. I never knew it wouldn't come easy. Coach Man and I struggled for five years to have a child. During our struggle, I often couldn't understand why God was withholding my heart's desires and how other women, made a choice, and just threw away the gift of motherhood like no biggie. What I would have given for that child that they didn't want. Hey, girl, over here! Give it to me. I'll love the heck out of that baby! Really, I will. During those years, all I could see around me was pregnan