Skip to main content

Faith Friday | Everydayness of God

I think the one thing I love about this odd year is that it's put me more in tune with the everydayness of God. The breeze, change of the seasons, the twinkle in a loved one's eye when they smile, the melody of music, the way a warm coffee cup feels, random kindness, the flicker of a candle, the faint church bells everyday at noon... I could go on forever, but you get it... the small everyday things. 

The forced slower pace of this year of Covid, hasn't been all bad. I've found such peace in the simple everyday. Things you can count on. Things to savor. Things that are cozy. Things to be in awe of and things to embrace.

It's easy to see God in good and in beauty of life, but finding God even in the muck of life is so more blissful, peeps. Just maybe all the busy and the stuff of life don't really matter all that much. Just maybe it's the simple everyday that matters more. Maybe in focusing more on the the everyday moments our life and being truly present, our life becomes so much more of a walk, a conversation with God and those we love. And we begin to live each day like a beautiful prayer.

I've heard this Josh Baldwin song on the radio often this last month, and I think it sums up my thoughts perfectly...

I see the evidence of Your goodness
All over my life, all over my life
I see Your promises in fulfillment
All over my life, all over my life

A Well-Lived Life


As I ponder what a well-lived life looks like for me... It's not that I was always happy, always joyful, always achieving dreams and goals. It's not always living to my own whims and wants, for success, joy and happiness are at times fleeting and elusive. It's trusting in God's plan for my life, even in the hard and leaning into that. It's being still, being present and not taking the simple everyday for granted.

Chase Delightstruck


Appreciating right where you are and noticing what and who is around you isn't hard, peeps. Here's a few pointers on how to better chase your own #delightstruck moments:
  • Unplug. Put the phone down, close the laptop, let the house be quiet. Look up from the those screens and life's noise and just take in what's around you - loved ones, friends, pets, nature, art, music, a book...the simple warmth of the coffee cup in your hand. 
  • Slow down. Our lives are filled with busy. Purposefully leave moments open. And if you are thinking I don't have time for that... Oh my friend, you so do. Being too busy zaps our energy and makes us less than the person God meant us too be. The last time someone asked you, "How are you?" Did you answer in one word, "Busy." Is that really even an answer? Break free, peeps! Embrace leisure time, read a book, take a walk, have an actual conversation where you learn something about the other person, really savor a meal... Basically, carve out time for yourself and the delightstruck moments will find you. 
  • Sharpen your sensory skills. Actually notice the sounds, the sights, the smells and the sensations of your day. You might just notice the a sunrise, that sweet belly laugh of your little one, the way the wind blows the leaves, the smile of a friend, the smell after it rains...
  • Get absorbed in the moment. For me this one is the hardest. My mind is constantly going and making lists. Plus there are distractions everywhere. I've had to learn how to be present in the moment, relax and focus on chasing my delightstruck moments.
  • Pay careful attention to the moments that make your heart sing and do more of that. Life is meant to be savored and LIVED. The more I savor the moments, the more I find I'm happier and more grateful for all that my life includes right now, and I'm not always looking to the next moment and the next big life step.
- Jen
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Word of the Year: Conquer

As a writer, I adore words. I always have, even as a little girl. They're like old friends to me. My 2019 word of the year is conquer, along with two supporting words - contemplate and celebrate. The three together may seem random and odd, but to me they all go hand in hand with the growth I have in mind for this year. 2018 was a year full of hard things. No worse than any other people's hard things, but still hard things. We moved, a new job for Coach Man, new schools for the hooligans, navigating a new high deductible insurance plan that does not cover insulin for the type 1 diabetic in the family (#insulin4all - but we'll chat that in another blog, because oh do I have some things to say), a health discovery for one of the kiddos and a major medical issue for Coach Man right before Christmas. It was definitely a year that kept us on our toes, but also a year filled with joy as we tackled the hurdles head on and with purpose. Well, we are a football family, so tack

Experience Gifts | Goldfish Swim School Holiday Package

This post is brought to you by Goldfish Swim School, and has a sweet chance for a holiday giveaway at the bottom, so keep reading (and swimming) friends. Have a little fish that you'd love to help become a more confident and independent swimmer before next summer? Did you know it can take up to a year of weekly lessons for that to happen for most little ones? Goldfish Swim School has a great way to help, and it's the perfect non-toy, "experience" gift for the holidays! The gift of swim lessons and water safety! This year’s Goldfish Swim School holiday packages are oh so fun to open too! We all know littles don't really love an envelope with a gift certificate under the tree. And THIS gift package is filled to the brim with goodies like 2 months of group swim lessons, 4 family swim passes, Goldfish goggles, Bubbles bath toy, a Goldfish tote and the new FIRST-EVER Goldfish story book, "The Fish Who Wouldn't Swim." The packages start at $1

Faith Friday | Overcoming Hard Things

Long ago I used to tip toe around the hard things in fear, collapse in a puddle of tears or hide in the comfort of my bed. I am the baby of nine children. Growing up the spoiled brat I was often was, I hated the hard things. I wanted them to disappear and someone else take care of them for me. I let the hard things take me under every single time. Somewhere over the years I figured out that it didn't have to be that way and EVERYONE has hard things. Go figure? So this past Wednesday was a day full of hard things. I must have needed some fresh, hot off the press, content for this blog, eh? I woke up with a migraine and was scheduled to be a panelist at a mentoring SCORE workshop on marketing. I coffee-ed up (which is a way better saying than cowboy up, by the way peeps), found the Excedrin extra strength and off I went into the crazy January rain. As I drove to the workshop my passenger side windshield wiper flew off. Good grief - at least not my driver side one. Made it through t