Skip to main content

Hello 40 | Shake It Up

Hello 40! I kind of dig ya.



So what did I learn over my #39adventures this last year? The biggest thing was to shake it up. There are always adventures just waiting to be had. Never rest on your laurels, peeps. Also, I really like the woman I am becoming in these years of my life. I want to see more of her!

I also have realized I know what I enjoy and what I don't, so in celebration for the big 40 this week, here's a few things I've come to realize, through keeping a gratitude journal last year, make my heart sing. In no particular order, just how it ended up in the journal.


  • My faith
  • Walking out the front door in early spring to singing birds 
  • Coach Man, the hooligans, our families and our fur babies
  • Soft peach roses
  • Writing, storytelling and my job
  • Autumn anything
  • Coffee
  • A fresh wall calendar 
  • The glow of candles on a birthday cake
  • Fairy gardens
  • Weddings
  • Belly laughs
  • Going to a local play or musical
  • Pachelbel's Canon in D (swoon)
  • Being kind
  • Cardinals
  • My living room picture collage wall
  • My rosary 
  • Pennies
  • Sunday Mass
  • Handwritten cards in the mail for no reason
  • Deep purple, navy, lime green and hot pink
  • Lent and Advent
  • Garth Brooks
  • Yard sales and Goodwill
  • Books, especially a good Debbie Macomber one to get lost in
  • Scruffy hospitality
  • Cilantro 
  • Flip flops
  • Meeting up with friends
  • Mexican, Thai and fresh seafood 
  • Black and white polka dot socks
  • Audrey Hepburn sunglasses
  • Costco chocolate cake, you know the one I'm talking about
  • A good pun
  • Summer concerts 
  • Picnics 
  • Handwritten lists 
  • The pool 
  • Slow dancing with Coach Man
  • Icy water
  • Naps
  • Wineries 
  • Cheeseballs
  • A Coach Man grilled cheeseburger
  • Bonfires and hayrides
  • Caramel apples with nuts 
  • Tea parties
  • Brie cheese and fig jam
  • Travel, near and far, but especially the beach
  • My children's smiles
  • A clean kitchen
  • Watching Dateline with Coach Man
  • Soft whimsy snow that doesn't accumulate 
  • Vera Bradley cross-body purses
  • Lavender soap
  • Campbell's Tomato Soup with Fritos
  • The Family Stone movie
  • Swirling leaves on a path in fall
  • Freshly painted toes
  • A good simple low cost adventure
  • Reading to the kids
  • Lace curtains
  • Cooking and baking 
  • Fireworks with the cousins
  • A cozy state park inn
  • The library 
  • Double fried "naked" chicken wings 
  • Dropping off the and picking up the kids from school, and when the Lou hops off the bus and says, "Hi, Mama!" (swoon)
  • Christmas Eve 
  • The Adoration Chapel 
  • Winnie-the-Pooh and The Hundred Acre Wood

Watch for a #40adventures list coming soon! And this year, it's not just a gratitude journal and some amazing food for thought books. I'm going to try for a sentence a day in Gretchen Rubin's The Happiness Project One-Sentence Journal. Why not actively choose joy and join me?


...there's never a wish better than this. When you only got hundred years to live...


And if you're curious these were my go-to reads (well with a few Debbie Macomber and Nora Roberts mixed in) over my 39th year. All of them taught me a little something new. 



-Jen


Top PC: Elizabeth Pack Photography

Comments

  1. Happy birthday, amazing lady! I cannot wait to see what you do with your 40th year!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Experience Gifts | Goldfish Swim School Holiday Package

This post is brought to you by Goldfish Swim School, and has a sweet chance for a holiday giveaway at the bottom, so keep reading (and swimming) friends. Have a little fish that you'd love to help become a more confident and independent swimmer before next summer? Did you know it can take up to a year of weekly lessons for that to happen for most little ones? Goldfish Swim School has a great way to help, and it's the perfect non-toy, "experience" gift for the holidays! The gift of swim lessons and water safety! This year’s Goldfish Swim School holiday packages are oh so fun to open too! We all know littles don't really love an envelope with a gift certificate under the tree. And THIS gift package is filled to the brim with goodies like 2 months of group swim lessons, 4 family swim passes, Goldfish goggles, Bubbles bath toy, a Goldfish tote and the new FIRST-EVER Goldfish story book, "The Fish Who Wouldn't Swim." The packages start at $1

My Greatest Challenge | Faith Friday

My nephew texted earlier this week and asked if he could interview me for a homework project. Little did I know the question coming wasn't an easy one, and it would bring tears and hard memories. He said he was supposed to ask someone over 30 and not his parents about the biggest challenge in their life. I advised I'd need a bit to think on that. It didn't take long. I was able to pinpoint it easily. Infertility. Growing up I always knew I wanted to be a mom. I never knew it wouldn't come easy. Coach Man and I struggled for five years to have a child. During our struggle, I often couldn't understand why God was withholding my heart's desires and how other women, made a choice, and just threw away the gift of motherhood like no biggie. What I would have given for that child that they didn't want. Hey, girl, over here! Give it to me. I'll love the heck out of that baby! Really, I will. During those years, all I could see around me was pregnan

Word of the Year: Conquer

As a writer, I adore words. I always have, even as a little girl. They're like old friends to me. My 2019 word of the year is conquer, along with two supporting words - contemplate and celebrate. The three together may seem random and odd, but to me they all go hand in hand with the growth I have in mind for this year. 2018 was a year full of hard things. No worse than any other people's hard things, but still hard things. We moved, a new job for Coach Man, new schools for the hooligans, navigating a new high deductible insurance plan that does not cover insulin for the type 1 diabetic in the family (#insulin4all - but we'll chat that in another blog, because oh do I have some things to say), a health discovery for one of the kiddos and a major medical issue for Coach Man right before Christmas. It was definitely a year that kept us on our toes, but also a year filled with joy as we tackled the hurdles head on and with purpose. Well, we are a football family, so tack