Skip to main content

Faith Friday | Hushing the Rhythm of Rush



Last year a good friend gave me a devotional called Embraced by Lysa TerKeurst. I picked it up a few times in 2018, but I've really been diving into it this year with purpose. My favorite thing is to bring it along with me to the chapel at church and ponder in the quiet with Jesus. This past week I dove into a section that touched on the rhythm of rush and how we lose sight of the best version of ourselves when we get sucked into the busy busy rush of life. Yep.

We have to slow the rhythm of rush in our lives so the best of who we are can emerge. 
- Lysa TerKeurst

So where does all the rush come from? Mine comes from running my own freelance business, weekly client meetings, kids to run to school, sports and other activities, a husband who coaches in addition to his day job, groups at church, keeping our house running smoothly, keeping up with friends and family and somewhere in all of that finding time for self-care and a prayer life. What is at the center of your busy?

It can all be so overwhelming. Peeps, how do we go about hushing the rhythm of rush, when it's become such a norm?

Some Sunday nights I look at the calendar for the week ahead and think how the heck am I going to do all of that and remain sane? Juggling it all, takes careful planning, delegating (even sometimes capable people in my own household - yes I'm a recovering control freak, do it all girl) and saying no without regret or second-guessing (because it's for my own good and the good of my family in the end).

With such a busy schedule, I used to easily get sucked into the rhythm of rush, and it often overwhelmed me. I'd get so stressed and worn out that I'd get sick, have migraines and be forced to take a few days off. That all changed about a year ago. I can't say it was one thing, but really a perfect storm of quite a few ah-ha moments. 

I paired down my commitments, I let go of some things, I made myself a priority, I sought out ways to grow in my faith and I made a lists - oh how I love lists. Plus my older sister said a few things that made me ponder even more: 
  • Every yes you say to one thing is a no to something else, make sure you truly understand the repercussions of the yeses and nos. (Which after diving into Embraced and the best yeses, Lysa and my sister would get along just fine.) I soon realized sometimes my yeses to everyone else in my life were horrible nos to family, myself and to my faith walk. 
  • Constantly weed your garden. Are the people (or commitments) around you feeding your positive growth or stifling you like weeds? 
  • Do things that make your heart sing. God gave you those passions for a reason.

I realized in all of that rush, my life lacked balance and had way too much noise, I'd been avoiding the hard things and I hadn't been working on me or my relationship with God at all. I'd been just getting through the days. 

I also realized I liked the woman that was emerging, as I learned to hush the rush, and worked on the meaningful yeses, sound nos, weeding my garden, spending time in prayer and making lists. I definitely wanted to see more of that chick. Where had she been all my life?! 

So long story short, how do I go about hushing the rush, the busy, the noise? I'm careful with my yeses, I pencil in appointments for daily prayer time, and I've stopped treating God like my on-call concierge when I need something (or something has gone terribly wrong and I need someone to blame), but more like an old dear friend.

Sometimes I meet Him with my favorite coffee mug in hand first thing in the morning. Sometimes I steal away from an hour in the chapel while I wait for one of the kids to get out of a sports practice. Sometimes we chat while I'm in the car heading to appointments. 

When my heart and spirit focus on Him and I shut the rest of the world's noise out, it's like a weary child (even an adult one) coming home for a loving parent's hug. It's like winter's quiet snow swirling down on you, hushing the world. It's like a cold drink of water. It's like turning north... (another favorite devotional in Embraced) and with that it makes juggling the busy, keeping your focus, learning to say no sometimes and being at your personal best (most of the time - because well, we're all human) so much easier.

You have made your way around this hill country long enough; now turn north. - Deuteronomy 2:2-3

When I step outside of the rush (and outside of exhaustion, stress, sadness and worry for that matter), I happen upon amazing conversations with my children, really see the love in my husband's deep brown eyes, read great books that feed my soul, really make time to nurture relationships with family and friends, take life's ups and downs in stride and so many more truly delightstruck things... I think it's simply called being in the moment and letting the rest go. 

Yes, I've found a way to hush the rush, peeps, and it starts in needing and spending time with Him. 

Stay tuned for more Faith Fridays. In the next few weeks, I talk - Hard Things, High Hopes and a Cycle of Defeat.

-Jen



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Experience Gifts | Goldfish Swim School Holiday Package

This post is brought to you by Goldfish Swim School, and has a sweet chance for a holiday giveaway at the bottom, so keep reading (and swimming) friends. Have a little fish that you'd love to help become a more confident and independent swimmer before next summer? Did you know it can take up to a year of weekly lessons for that to happen for most little ones? Goldfish Swim School has a great way to help, and it's the perfect non-toy, "experience" gift for the holidays! The gift of swim lessons and water safety! This year’s Goldfish Swim School holiday packages are oh so fun to open too! We all know littles don't really love an envelope with a gift certificate under the tree. And THIS gift package is filled to the brim with goodies like 2 months of group swim lessons, 4 family swim passes, Goldfish goggles, Bubbles bath toy, a Goldfish tote and the new FIRST-EVER Goldfish story book, "The Fish Who Wouldn't Swim." The packages start at $1

My Greatest Challenge | Faith Friday

My nephew texted earlier this week and asked if he could interview me for a homework project. Little did I know the question coming wasn't an easy one, and it would bring tears and hard memories. He said he was supposed to ask someone over 30 and not his parents about the biggest challenge in their life. I advised I'd need a bit to think on that. It didn't take long. I was able to pinpoint it easily. Infertility. Growing up I always knew I wanted to be a mom. I never knew it wouldn't come easy. Coach Man and I struggled for five years to have a child. During our struggle, I often couldn't understand why God was withholding my heart's desires and how other women, made a choice, and just threw away the gift of motherhood like no biggie. What I would have given for that child that they didn't want. Hey, girl, over here! Give it to me. I'll love the heck out of that baby! Really, I will. During those years, all I could see around me was pregnan

Word of the Year: Conquer

As a writer, I adore words. I always have, even as a little girl. They're like old friends to me. My 2019 word of the year is conquer, along with two supporting words - contemplate and celebrate. The three together may seem random and odd, but to me they all go hand in hand with the growth I have in mind for this year. 2018 was a year full of hard things. No worse than any other people's hard things, but still hard things. We moved, a new job for Coach Man, new schools for the hooligans, navigating a new high deductible insurance plan that does not cover insulin for the type 1 diabetic in the family (#insulin4all - but we'll chat that in another blog, because oh do I have some things to say), a health discovery for one of the kiddos and a major medical issue for Coach Man right before Christmas. It was definitely a year that kept us on our toes, but also a year filled with joy as we tackled the hurdles head on and with purpose. Well, we are a football family, so tack