Skip to main content

Café Patachou Love

Hello, my name is Jen, and I just tried Café Patachou for the first time EVER. Is there a support group for that? It was on my 39 Adventures list and time is growing short to get that wrapped up, peeps. I don't usually write about each of the 39 adventures, but this one calls for its own feature. 




How have I never been here?! Okay, I know. Coach Man. He'd say it's girly food and suggest something else and I'd give in and think I'll try with my sisters another time, but I never did.

Their website says they're "A Student Union for Adults Since 1989," and I am pleasantly surprised... that statement, 100% accurate. I stopped in today at their Hazel Dell, Carmel, Indiana location for lunch. A chilly winter Wednesday, why not treat myself to a delish lunch? Everyone should have a date with themselves once in awhile.




I've passed the location tons of times and always thought it looked cozy. Stepping through the door didn't disappoint, so cozy and full of lively chatter and smiles throughout. All by myself, I opted for a counter bar seat, and I'm so glad I did! It was like Cheers, peeps! So many HAPPY regulars and amazing staff. The gentlemen to either side of me had exactly the same recommendation for my first EVER dining at Café Patachou experience. The sweet regular down the way, Julie, had great advice on all the little hidden wonderfulness of the establishment and right before I left, a dad and his adult daughter (long time regulars - with a standing weekly meet-up) stopped in for a bite and had great things to say as well! 

I had heard the omelettes and cinnamon toast were heaven and I considered possibly that for my Wednesday brunch. The chicken salad sounded fab per the menu notes. I'd seen a picture of the Indiana Sweet Corn Cakes and I thought possibly that, but the gentlemen to either side both said the Cuban Breakfast. 

Why not be adventurous? So Cuban Breakfast it was... with a side of sourdough cinnamon toast. A certain local marketing friend described it as immensely enjoyable (well, she really used an "o" word - but this is a family blog, so keeping it clean over here). 




Oh.my.gosh, peeps! From the perfectly over-easy eggs to the avocado and lick the bowl good spinach-jalapeno pesto, it was amazing! And the cinnamon toast - delightstruck.




Now the windows of the cafe state "Radically Better Coffee." Better than say McDonalds and even Starbucks most often, I'd say yes, but it's not what knocked my socks off, peeps. If I were them, I'd talk about that cinnamon toast on the windows and the amazing staff! One of the most amazing waitstaff I've encountered in a long time! Shout-out to Debra - she rocked my lunch today. I did love that you can fill your own coffee cup at the coffee station. 




Now on to the tips I got for my next visit from my new bar counter friends, and oh peeps, there is definitely going to be a next visit. Julie advised the BLT was a must, and it includes fresh mozzarella and get it on the wheat bread, which comes from Great Harvest Bread company. I also heard from many that I have to do an omelette next time. They were described by a patron as, "perfect and fluffy."

Oh and I loved their little note on the menu - have a problem, tell a human, not a follower. We should all do that more. Give establishments a chance to fix something when you're not happy, instead of going to online reviews first. They live forever and that's just not always fair to people - life is too short not to forgive and forget. 




All in all, it was like sitting in the student union and making new friends. My Wednesday was better for it. 

So, do tell your favorite dish there?


-Jen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Experience Gifts | Goldfish Swim School Holiday Package

This post is brought to you by Goldfish Swim School, and has a sweet chance for a holiday giveaway at the bottom, so keep reading (and swimming) friends. Have a little fish that you'd love to help become a more confident and independent swimmer before next summer? Did you know it can take up to a year of weekly lessons for that to happen for most little ones? Goldfish Swim School has a great way to help, and it's the perfect non-toy, "experience" gift for the holidays! The gift of swim lessons and water safety! This year’s Goldfish Swim School holiday packages are oh so fun to open too! We all know littles don't really love an envelope with a gift certificate under the tree. And THIS gift package is filled to the brim with goodies like 2 months of group swim lessons, 4 family swim passes, Goldfish goggles, Bubbles bath toy, a Goldfish tote and the new FIRST-EVER Goldfish story book, "The Fish Who Wouldn't Swim." The packages start at $1

My Greatest Challenge | Faith Friday

My nephew texted earlier this week and asked if he could interview me for a homework project. Little did I know the question coming wasn't an easy one, and it would bring tears and hard memories. He said he was supposed to ask someone over 30 and not his parents about the biggest challenge in their life. I advised I'd need a bit to think on that. It didn't take long. I was able to pinpoint it easily. Infertility. Growing up I always knew I wanted to be a mom. I never knew it wouldn't come easy. Coach Man and I struggled for five years to have a child. During our struggle, I often couldn't understand why God was withholding my heart's desires and how other women, made a choice, and just threw away the gift of motherhood like no biggie. What I would have given for that child that they didn't want. Hey, girl, over here! Give it to me. I'll love the heck out of that baby! Really, I will. During those years, all I could see around me was pregnan

Word of the Year: Conquer

As a writer, I adore words. I always have, even as a little girl. They're like old friends to me. My 2019 word of the year is conquer, along with two supporting words - contemplate and celebrate. The three together may seem random and odd, but to me they all go hand in hand with the growth I have in mind for this year. 2018 was a year full of hard things. No worse than any other people's hard things, but still hard things. We moved, a new job for Coach Man, new schools for the hooligans, navigating a new high deductible insurance plan that does not cover insulin for the type 1 diabetic in the family (#insulin4all - but we'll chat that in another blog, because oh do I have some things to say), a health discovery for one of the kiddos and a major medical issue for Coach Man right before Christmas. It was definitely a year that kept us on our toes, but also a year filled with joy as we tackled the hurdles head on and with purpose. Well, we are a football family, so tack