Skip to main content

Father's Day Hot Fudge Nutty Nutty

My Dad wasn't the kind of cute Father's Day memes or quaint Norman Rockwell paintings. He wasn't the greatest at all. There were times I hated him and many times I didn't understand him, but sprinkled in all that, there were times he made me smile - truly grin.


To those out there with baggage and scars from those growing up years - I see you. I understand you. Days like today can be hard, if you only focus on the hard, the bad, the sad or what you missed.

Instead, I have something for you to ponder. Find a happy moment, a single moment that makes you smile so very big and let the rest go. You're only hurting yourself by hanging on to all of the negative so tightly. Focus on a single joy. Mine - hot fudge nutty nutty.

In the last few years I've finally come to clearly realize that my Dad wasn’t capable of being the man his wife needed him to be, nor his children. He was broken in so many ways and flawed like ALL of us. He was human. Sometimes I think we forget that about our parents - they're human, just like all of us. Not perfect at all, but we unfairly expect them to be and hold on tightly to every single non perfect thing. We offer them no grace.

I've forgiven my Dad for my baggage and let it all go. It took years to get to that point. In every aspect that he failed (in my opinion) as my Father, there was (and still is) a perfect Father above filling in the gaps.

So I've let the anger go. The sadness. The regret. The disappointment. The longing. I've found grateful, thankful, peace and joy, and I'm better for it.

If not for love within my parent's marriage, then I wouldn’t be here, nor my eight siblings. They gave all of us life. A precious gift not to be overlooked.

My Dad was all he could be for me - for us. It’s all he had to give. Maybe he didn't say he loved us often or that he was proud of us, but maybe he just didn't know how to give us those things we so very craved.

He's been gone quite a few years now, and when he comes to mind - this is the image that I have now. Crazy yellow pants that my Mom kept trying to send to Goodwill, this red tank, thong sandals with black socks and these awful sunglasses that should stayed in the decade they came from. And I hear the words - hot fudge nutty nutty in my head. It's what he called a Dairy Queen Peanut Buster Parfait, and I always thought that to be so silly. He adored enjoying those hot fudge nutty nutty treats, and that's the moment that I choose to keep with me, savor and smile.


Truly, Happy Father's Day, Herm. I know I haven't said it to you in years, but I mean it this year.

- Jen


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Experience Gifts | Goldfish Swim School Holiday Package

This post is brought to you by Goldfish Swim School, and has a sweet chance for a holiday giveaway at the bottom, so keep reading (and swimming) friends. Have a little fish that you'd love to help become a more confident and independent swimmer before next summer? Did you know it can take up to a year of weekly lessons for that to happen for most little ones? Goldfish Swim School has a great way to help, and it's the perfect non-toy, "experience" gift for the holidays! The gift of swim lessons and water safety! This year’s Goldfish Swim School holiday packages are oh so fun to open too! We all know littles don't really love an envelope with a gift certificate under the tree. And THIS gift package is filled to the brim with goodies like 2 months of group swim lessons, 4 family swim passes, Goldfish goggles, Bubbles bath toy, a Goldfish tote and the new FIRST-EVER Goldfish story book, "The Fish Who Wouldn't Swim." The packages start at $1

Word of the Year: Conquer

As a writer, I adore words. I always have, even as a little girl. They're like old friends to me. My 2019 word of the year is conquer, along with two supporting words - contemplate and celebrate. The three together may seem random and odd, but to me they all go hand in hand with the growth I have in mind for this year. 2018 was a year full of hard things. No worse than any other people's hard things, but still hard things. We moved, a new job for Coach Man, new schools for the hooligans, navigating a new high deductible insurance plan that does not cover insulin for the type 1 diabetic in the family (#insulin4all - but we'll chat that in another blog, because oh do I have some things to say), a health discovery for one of the kiddos and a major medical issue for Coach Man right before Christmas. It was definitely a year that kept us on our toes, but also a year filled with joy as we tackled the hurdles head on and with purpose. Well, we are a football family, so tack

My Greatest Challenge | Faith Friday

My nephew texted earlier this week and asked if he could interview me for a homework project. Little did I know the question coming wasn't an easy one, and it would bring tears and hard memories. He said he was supposed to ask someone over 30 and not his parents about the biggest challenge in their life. I advised I'd need a bit to think on that. It didn't take long. I was able to pinpoint it easily. Infertility. Growing up I always knew I wanted to be a mom. I never knew it wouldn't come easy. Coach Man and I struggled for five years to have a child. During our struggle, I often couldn't understand why God was withholding my heart's desires and how other women, made a choice, and just threw away the gift of motherhood like no biggie. What I would have given for that child that they didn't want. Hey, girl, over here! Give it to me. I'll love the heck out of that baby! Really, I will. During those years, all I could see around me was pregnan