Skip to main content

Faith Friday | Front Row Seat

Friends, I'm introducing a little something new to my Faith Friday series. Once a month, I'll be hosting a guest writer to share their faith journey, and let us meet them in the raw of everyday, in the joy, the heartache and the struggles. Today is Elaine Carr. She's a kindred spirit and such a light to so many. She also owns Macaroni Kid Indianapolis-Indy Loop In and Macaroni Kid Hamilton County. Grab a warm cup of coffee or tea, sit a bit and take in all Elaine has to share.

She Has A Front Row Seat to All The Joy


It was four weeks ago that I crept into my youngest daughter’s bedroom to check on her and kiss her, as she slept. She awoke for a minute and asked where I was going; I responded, “I’m going to Riley for the night with a couple friends from church.” She sat up for a moment and asked, “Oh, is Camrynne going to Heaven now?” I told her that yes, Camrynne will be going to Heaven very soon. A huge smile crept over her first-grade face, her eyes lit up, and she proclaimed, “Oh, good! Good for her.” She laid back down and as she rolled over, quietly said, “Please ask her to say ‘hello’ to my sister and tell her I’ll be there soon enough because I was just baptized.”

I closed the door and stood in the hallway while tears quietly rolled down my face; going to sit with a mother whose daughter had battled cancer the past year was tearing my heart apart. Camrynne had fought hard through painful nights but never wavered in her faith and love for Jesus. So many had been praying for her to be healed and it became clear that healing would happen but not on this side of heaven. This warrior left the arms of her mother to be received by Jesus on Valentine’s Day.



As I quietly prayed for her parents, I remember being the mom who was shaking her fist at God and screaming it wasn’t fair. I remember my husband lifting a small coffin into the ground at the graveyard. I remember saying, “How will I ever survive this and how will I ever live again?” Where are you God?

My mind races to the funeral service for my daughter. My niece, who was in first grade at the time, looked at everyone crying and seemed to be perplexed by all the grief. She had a smile on her face and exclaimed, “Quit crying! She has a front row seat to all the joy!” At the time, that statement of excitement over my baby dying infuriated me; however, in time, I’ve come to see that the children are right. They are spot on. They aren’t dismissing the grief or the loss, but they are acknowledging the absolute joy in being with Christ. They believe, without question, that being with the Savior is better than being in this fallen world.

If we, as Christians, trust in what we claim to believe, then we must grieve differently! I’m not saying we cannot cry, and we do not ache to hold our loved ones that have left us but, we need to keep our eyes on the things that are not seen. We must rejoice that our loved ones are free of this world. This world where cancer kills children, where SIDS steals our babies, this world where tears are plenty, and heartache is in abundance.

Somewhere along the path to adulthood, many of us have lost our childlike faith. We hold onto this world like it is the end. Its not. This world is broken. This world is flawed. We know love here and experience joy but this is just the waiting. We are here waiting for something better, something whole, something we will never know or experience until we have entered heaven and have a front row seat to all the joy!

Jesus himself said, “…unless you become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.” ~Matthew 18:3

So, laugh a little longer, hug a little harder, slow down a little and take time to purposely be childlike in your prayers, worship, thoughts and life.

- Elaine



Have a faith story you'd like to share? Email me and let's chat. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Experience Gifts | Goldfish Swim School Holiday Package

This post is brought to you by Goldfish Swim School, and has a sweet chance for a holiday giveaway at the bottom, so keep reading (and swimming) friends. Have a little fish that you'd love to help become a more confident and independent swimmer before next summer? Did you know it can take up to a year of weekly lessons for that to happen for most little ones? Goldfish Swim School has a great way to help, and it's the perfect non-toy, "experience" gift for the holidays! The gift of swim lessons and water safety! This year’s Goldfish Swim School holiday packages are oh so fun to open too! We all know littles don't really love an envelope with a gift certificate under the tree. And THIS gift package is filled to the brim with goodies like 2 months of group swim lessons, 4 family swim passes, Goldfish goggles, Bubbles bath toy, a Goldfish tote and the new FIRST-EVER Goldfish story book, "The Fish Who Wouldn't Swim." The packages start at $1

My Greatest Challenge | Faith Friday

My nephew texted earlier this week and asked if he could interview me for a homework project. Little did I know the question coming wasn't an easy one, and it would bring tears and hard memories. He said he was supposed to ask someone over 30 and not his parents about the biggest challenge in their life. I advised I'd need a bit to think on that. It didn't take long. I was able to pinpoint it easily. Infertility. Growing up I always knew I wanted to be a mom. I never knew it wouldn't come easy. Coach Man and I struggled for five years to have a child. During our struggle, I often couldn't understand why God was withholding my heart's desires and how other women, made a choice, and just threw away the gift of motherhood like no biggie. What I would have given for that child that they didn't want. Hey, girl, over here! Give it to me. I'll love the heck out of that baby! Really, I will. During those years, all I could see around me was pregnan

Word of the Year: Conquer

As a writer, I adore words. I always have, even as a little girl. They're like old friends to me. My 2019 word of the year is conquer, along with two supporting words - contemplate and celebrate. The three together may seem random and odd, but to me they all go hand in hand with the growth I have in mind for this year. 2018 was a year full of hard things. No worse than any other people's hard things, but still hard things. We moved, a new job for Coach Man, new schools for the hooligans, navigating a new high deductible insurance plan that does not cover insulin for the type 1 diabetic in the family (#insulin4all - but we'll chat that in another blog, because oh do I have some things to say), a health discovery for one of the kiddos and a major medical issue for Coach Man right before Christmas. It was definitely a year that kept us on our toes, but also a year filled with joy as we tackled the hurdles head on and with purpose. Well, we are a football family, so tack